Think electrical outlet covers or light switch plates. What colour is that. If you’re thinking of plastic and either white or off-white (either by design or by a layer of dirt), you’re not alone.
For some reason, they tend to be an afterthought in home decor. Take the time to pick the perfect paint color, put painter’s tape around the outlet, and carefully paint the room, but you’re left with those white plastic rectangles and squares.
Sure, you could buy a new and better outlet cover or light switch plate, but instead of spending your time and money choosing something else, you can also: paint those ugly white to match the rest of the room. Here’s what you should know:
How to paint a plastic outlet cover
First, I have some bad news. Before painting, you will need to remove the plastic outlet covers and light switch plates. It’s annoying, but really, usually he just unscrews two screws. when they leave the wall what to do next here:
- Clean the outlet cover with a mixture of warm water and TSP or Dirtex. (If you don’t have either, warm water and dish soap can be substituted.)
- Dip an abrasive sponge into the solution and use it to scrub the outlet cover.
- Let the outlet cover dry and finish with 220-grit sandpaper.
- Apply spray primer in a well-ventilated area. Allow to dry according to primer instructions.
- Apply a thin base coat of paint. If your goal is to match the paint job on the wall, use the same technique (i.e. brushing, rolling, or spraying) on the outlet cover. Let the paint dry completely.
- Align the painted outlet cover with the wall you are trying to match. If the color is not dark enough or saturated, apply another thin layer of paint. Allow to dry completely, then reassess whether a third thin coat is required.
- Don’t forget to paint the screws.
- Seal painted outlet covers and screws. Clear, durable protective finish, like a liquid varnish. Allow to dry completely.
Please handle gently with a screwdriver. install new paint Attach the outlet cover and switch plate to the wall so as not to damage the work.
How to paint a boring white plastic outlet cover
Source link How to paint a boring white plastic outlet cover