If you’re like me, you’ve passed “Money Laundering 101” on hit shows like: ozark When breaking bad(The linked example, for reference, is a very entertaining account of how money laundering works in the TV world.)
Of course, what is money laundering? literally disinfection of cash—Laundering is a manufacturing process illegally-obtained looks like money is coming from Glimpse legal business operations To avoid the wrath of the IRS or law enforcement agencies. We at Lifehacker never dreamed of facilitating financial crime.Here’s what you need to know about how people are laundering money these days.
What exactly is money laundering?
as previously mentionedMoney laundering is the process of making money obtained through illegal means, such as selling drugs, look like it was obtained legally.There are many different channels cleaning dirty moneyHowever, it usually requires three basic steps: placement, layering, and integration. Here’s an overview of how each stage works:
1. Placement. This is where dirty money is put into seemingly legitimate assets. T.He where criminals first introduce their wealth into the financial system, and This is where you are most likely to get caught.
2. Layering. this That step is to move the money further away from its unclean origins.this You can transfer money between multiple bank accounts or make large purchases. Casinos are a prime example of layering. “washed” again and again night. Savvy launderers move money to one offshore account, then to a dummy company, then to another dummy company, etc., building a complex web that is difficult to track.
3. Integration. rear Money can be purified and integrated into mainstream financial channels. Former criminals may purchase property or Another dummy company for even more laundry.
Methods of money laundering
The most obvious images of money laundering are cash businesses such as car washes and strip clubs.There are countless ways to launder money and the digital age has only made it easier for professionals to innovate in the money laundering game.Here are some of the most common techniquesToQuestions and channels people use to launder money:
- dirty disguise Earn money through gambling at casinos, investing in real estate, or starting shell companies.
- Using “smurfs” aka exchanging dirty money in small chunks to make the total amount of funds difficult to detect.
- Trade-based laundering. Fiddle with prices and volumes of imports and exports to create a paper trail of false profits.
- You own a bank or mortgage company and can move money between financial institutions very easily.
- Open foreign accounts and take advantage of foreign exchange rates.
- An online banking scam that involves sending money directly to a victim’s account and making fraudulent payments from that account.
- Loading and redeeming online payments such as prepaid gift cards.
Money laundering conclusion
Money laundering is a major activity of organized crime and is evolving. New technologies and cryptocurrencies offer launderers new ways to beat the ever-changing system. At the same time, law enforcement and government agencies continue to adapt to detect money laundering schemes. I had a good time here today, but the money laundering is very…illegal activity. Not all “how-to” articles are endorsed.
how to launder dirty money
Source link how to launder dirty money