Have you ever opened the washing machine just to encounter a funky stink on a foul? Did you shrug and ignore it? Me too. But it got worse. Until finally Newly washed clothes It smelled like mold. Molds and bacteria grew in the washing machine and polluted the laundry.Fortunately, cleaning and preventing the washing machine is pretty easy Mold from growth.
Why is there black mold on the washing machine?
Mold loves moisture. Washing machines have parts that are wet and do not dry completely, such as gaskets, seals, hoses, and dispensers. Mold also eats traces of fabric softener and detergent left over after washing clothes.
Mold can grow in any washing machine, Humid places, front loading, and “High efficiency” washers are more prone to mold than top loaders. Closing the HE machine door seals the door and prevents air from circulating and mold. But even worse problems can arise from rubber seals that keep everything inside the HE washer airtight. If you do not pay close attention to regular cleaning and drying, mold will build up underneath.
Is mold in the washing machine dangerous?
In a nutshell, that’s right. “Mold that grows in the washing machine can be a problem even when the washing machine isn’t in use,” said Melanie Carver, a spokesman for the Asthma and Allergy Foundation. Consumer report.. “Mold can cause allergic symptoms such as sneezing, itching, runny nose, and congestion, and can also irritate the airways.”
Fortunately, there is an easy way to get rid of the mold from the washer and prevent it from returning.
How to clean mold from the washing machine
To clean the mold in the washing machine, first collect the following supplies.
- Rubber gloves
- Old towels and rags you don’t need anymore
- Mold killing solution
Make a mold-killing solution
There is Commercial products It is designed to kill mold, but there are many that can also be mixed with water to destroy mold.He tried chlorine bleach.. To create a bleach-based mold-killing solution:
- Mix 1 part of bleach with 4 parts of water.
If you don’t want to use bleachYou can try These alternative recipes:
- 2 cups of water, ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup of lemon juice
- 2 cups of water, ¼ cup of lemon juice, ½ cup of distilled white vinegar
- 1 part of vinegar and 4 parts of water (I didn’t think the vinegar cleaning solution was particularly good Effective, but mileage may vary.).
important: Do not mix bleach with these other ingredients. Deadly gas can be generated.
Step 1: Clean up the washing machine pipes
Mold can build up on the tubes and pipes of your machine, so first treat it by following the steps below.
- Empty the washing machine and make sure there is no detergent or fabric softener left in the dispenser.
- Pour about a glass of straight chlorine bleach into the main drum of the washing machine. or…
- If you have detergent, fabric softener, and / or bleach dispenser drawers, pour a moderate amount of bleach into each, depending on the size of the machine.
- Run an empty washing machine with the hottest water circulation and maximum load size.
- Leave the door open to allow it to dry completely.
Step 2: Clean the inside of the machine
- If you have a front loader, be sure to remove the seal and use a cloth or brush to thoroughly clean the back of the rubber gasket.
- Wipe the drum, lid, and all exposed areas with a mold-killing solution and towel, making sure you are wearing gloves.
- Dry with a dry cloth and leave it open.
- If you want to be ambitious, you can remove the entire drum from inside the machine and wipe it all off. Contact the manufacturer to see if this is possible / recommended for a particular washing machine.
Step 3: Clean the lint trap and dispenser
Many washing machines have removable dispenser drawers for detergents and fabric softeners.
- Check the manual for how to retrieve them.
- Soak them for about an hour Hot tap water.
- If the drawer cannot be removed, cWipe them with a brush or rag soaked in solution and tilt them.
- Please dry everything completely before you Put it back in its original place.
Most washing machines have lint filters or traps, which are often huge mold attractants. Check uOur manual on how to remove it. If you have:
- Remove all ganks that have accumulated in the trap.
- SScrape off with a mold-killing solution or soak in hot water.
- Run the wash cycle without the use of detergents or bleach to see everything It will be completely washed away.
How can I prevent the washers from becoming moldy?
The washer became moldy-For free, there are some steps you can take to help prevent the mold from forming again (or at least slow its growth)).
- Always keep the washers open during use.
- If possible, keep the dispenser open as well.
- Do not leave wet clothes in the washing machine.
- If you have a high efficiency washing machine, use only detergents designed for HE machines.
- Again, with HE washers, be sure to dry the area under the door gasket after each use.
- Improve air circulation in the laundry room with a fan or open windows.
- Run a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the air.
- Avoid using detergents.
- Some people recommend Completely discard fabric softenerUse white vinegar instead.
How to kill mold in the washing machine
Source link How to kill mold in the washing machine