Coxarthrosis requires an individual and differentiated approach, as this pathology can develop both in active people against the background of extensive physical loads, and in elderly people due to age-related changes. Starting from sparing conservative measures, doctors proceed to minimally invasive interventions and the replacement coxarthrosis surgery. Physicians in the specialized hospitals achieve excellent functional results due to combination of medications and surgeries with high-quality rehabilitation.
Conservative treatment and minimally invasive interventions
When a combination of clinical manifestations and the results of X‐ray diagnostics detects an early stage of hip osteoarthritis, doctors start from conservative measures. Lifestyle modification is recommended first. This includes maintaining healthy weight and low-impact physical activities (e.g. swimming). Physiotherapy and medications are administered to relieve the pain, such as paracetamol or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
More invasive options include intra-articular injections, such as injections of corticosteroids, hyaluronic acid, or platelet rich plasma therapy (PRP). The drugs reduce inflammation and stimulate regeneration of the joint cartilage. These restrict disease progression, but do not cure it. Stem cell injections are also used in the specialized hospitals.
The minimally invasive coxarthrosis surgical treatment includes endoscopic interventions aimed at removing the damaged cartilage. This reduces symptoms and makes regeneration more active. In some people such surgeries significantly postpone hip replacement.
Hip replacement is indicated when:
- A patient has severe pain that requires constant intake of painkillers
- Pain syndrome interferes with the quality of life and sleep
- Mobility is significantly reduced due to swelling and stiffness in the hip joint
- Everyday tasks become difficult to perform or even impossible
- A patient cannot work or have a usual social life
- A patient feels depressed due to the pathology and its consequences
- A patient is fit enough to tolerate surgery and go through rehabilitation
There are two types of hip replacement: the surface and the total one. The total hip replacement involves all the parts of the affected joint: the endoprosthesis replaces the upper part of the femur and a part of pelvic bone. It is indicated to people with severe destruction or deformity of the hip joint. Bilateral hip replacement is also possible.
Young and active patients with hip osteoarthritis can undergo the surface replacement surgery. In this case, the patient’s own bone tissue is maximally preserved. The surgeon removes damaged cartilage, but preserves the patient’s femoral head. Superficial prosthesis restores femur and allows an unlimited physical load on the joint.
Hospitals and treatment costs
Treatment of coxarthrosis is carried out in the specialized medical centers or Departments of Orthopedics or Orthopedic Surgery of the multidisciplinary hospitals. Some of the best hospitals with the highest success rates are:
- Hospital Neuwerk Mönchengladbach
- Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur
- Academic Hospital Brothers of Mercy Munich
- Academic Municipal Hospital Karlsruhe
- Vitos Orthopedic Clinic Kassel
The cost of treatment depends on severity of the pathology, required treatment, duration of rehabilitation, and the Hospital. For instance, Hospital Neuwerk Mönchengladbach offers arthroscopic treatment for 8,400 EUR, and price for the same procedure in University Hospital Ulm is 10,300 EUR. If you need to know prices in advance, contact Booking Health.
Booking Health is the certified medical tourism company that will provide you with reliable information about therapeutic procedures, hospitals and doctors, treatment costs. A medical advisor will offer you the best option for your case, while travel managers will do the rest:
- Book the appointment without long waiting
- Facilitate visa issuing, send you an invitation for treatment
- Help prepare and translate medical reports
- Arrange your flight and transfer, provide you with an interpreter
- Control prices and exclude additional fees for the foreigners
- Buy medications and arrange additional medical services, if necessary
A personal medical coordinator will support you 24/7, until you return home after the successful treatment.