Heavy equipment was brought in on Saturday to recover the bodies of workers trapped in the rubble of a partially collapsed building under construction in London, Ontario.
Two people were killed and five were injured in the Friday incident, city officials said. One who was killed was previously taken from the scene, but the other remained trapped.
Officials said efforts to reach a second confirmed dead victim were delayed, fearing that the unstable structure could collapse further.
The state’s urban search and rescue team was sought for help, but recovery could “take some time,” officials said.
The city said investigations into the cause of the collapse were underway.
Of the five injured, four needed hospital treatment, according to the London Health Sciences Center. Two were in serious condition and two were in normal condition. The fifth worker was only slightly injured.
Mayor Ed Holder expressed his condolences to the victim’s relatives and thanked the first responders for how they handled the “tragic incident.”
“The community has joined me to express my heartfelt condolences to the two families who lost their lives,” Holder said in a statement. “Thanks to all of our first responders and the emergency management team for their prompt action.”
When the wall collapsed just before noon on Friday, all the victims were field workers.
Two investigators and engineers from the Ontario Department of Labor have been called to a site managed by Brock Developments. The development listed as a low-rise “premium” apartment called Nest on Wonderland was expected to be completed by next summer.
Michelle Doornbosch, president of Nest on Wonderland, said the company is helping regulators carry out the investigation.
“We have been overwhelmed by this incident and our thoughts remain with the affected workers, their families, friends and colleagues,” she said in an email.
“Our top priority is always the safety of our employees, our contractors, and the communities in which we work and live.”
The London Center for Health Sciences declared “Code Orange” in response to the incident, but later discontinued it. He also said that the doctor went to the scene for support.
The hospital said it had accepted five patients, including one who died. No further information will be provided about the surviving patients, he said.
Two people killed in a construction accident in London, Ontario, recovery work in progress
Source link Two people killed in a construction accident in London, Ontario, recovery work in progress