The fire that destroyed the Coldstream home last week was deemed accidental and appears to have been caused by a malfunctioning space heater.
Coldstream and Lavington firefighters responded to the Flamingo Way fire shortly after 11:00 am on Friday, November 18. The house is considered a total loss.
The homeowner was in a two-story modular home when the fire broke out, but fled with his two dogs.
Coldstream District Conservation Services Manager Keith Greene was responsible for inspecting the site. His investigation confirmed that the fire was accidental because the homeowner was using a space heater to keep the hot tub pipes from freezing, and that it ignited nearby combustible material. said he.
“Despite the best efforts of the homeowners to extinguish the fire, the fire spread from the hot tub area to the shed to the house,” Green said, adding that crew members were working to protect adjacent homes that were in close proximity. did a great job, and was “a little off the ignition.”
Two adjacent houses suffered minor siding damage.
Green said the homeowner suffered mild smoke inhalation symptoms but has since recovered.
“Remember that space heaters can get very hot and should not be left unattended,” said Green.
Accident Fire North Okanagan Regional District
Space Heater Causes Coldstream Trailer Fire, Considered Accidental
Source link Space Heater Causes Coldstream Trailer Fire, Considered Accidental