Canada

Metal barbecue brushes pose a hazard: Health Canada data

Article content

Do you clean your barbecue with a hard metal brush?

advertising 2

Article content

you may want to reconsider it.

Article content

The metallic bristles in these brushes pose a health risk, according to new data from Health Canada. It can come off the brush and stay on the grill, get caught in food, and harm the digestive tract and esophagus.

Data from the Canadian Hospitals Injury Reporting and Prevention Program (CHIRPP) surveillance system shows 38 injuries related to ingestion (or inhalation) of barbecue brush bristles in Canada between 2011 and 2022.

debtOr for the first five years of that data, there was typically only one case per year. Then, in 2016, the number increased sharply to three, and several incidents have occurred annually since then.

Of these 38, more than one-third (36.8%) required hospitalization.

advertising 3

Article content

Among those hospitalized was Kevin Gallant, Prince Edward Islander. He discovered that the stomach pain he had endured for 18 months was caused by a barbecue hair lodged in his small intestine.

When the pain worsened and he sought medical attention, he was told by doctors that metal bristles were slowly breaking through the intestinal wall.

Gallant needed immediate surgery.

A recent National Post article recounted Gallant’s medical journey, which included resection of part of his bowel.

“They said that once it had passed through the intestinal wall, it would have gone through the major organs until it stabbed something that would have probably killed you, so they were lucky to get it from me.” Told. national post.

Advertising 4

Article content

A 2017 Health Canada paper detailed:When ingested, these fine, sharp, wiry bristles are pierced or embedded along the aerodigestive and gastrointestinal tracts, including sites such as the tongue, pharynx, small intestine/bowel, and colon.

Sorry, this video could not be loaded.

These injuries appear to occur year-round, not just in the summer, and affect men and women equally.

However, Health Canada said some people who ingested wire bristles may have sought medical help outside of the emergency room, or may not have needed medical care, so it is not an issue. The extent is actually unknown.

This is not a new problem. In order to use the brush more safely, Establishment of voluntary safety standards for barbecue brushes In 2019 — however, manufacturers are not required to adhere to these standards.

Health Canada spokesperson quoted by national post I advised them to inspect these barbecue brushes and grills regularly and suggested buying new brushes each season.

    advertising 1

comment

Postmedia is committed to maintaining an active yet respectful forum for discussion and encourages all readers to share their opinions on our articles. It may take up to an hour to moderate your comments before they appear on the site. Please keep your comments relevant and respectful. You have enabled email notifications. You will now receive an email when you receive a reply to a comment, when a comment thread you are following is updated, or when someone is following your comment. For more information and details on how to adjust your email preferences, please see our Community Guidelines.

Metal barbecue brushes pose a hazard: Health Canada data

Source link Metal barbecue brushes pose a hazard: Health Canada data

Related Articles

Back to top button