Canada

Kevin Spacey was ordered to pay House of Cards creators over $30 million

A judge on Thursday ruled that Kevin Spacey and his production company must pay producers House of Cards on the Sand He lost nearly $31 million in 2017 due to being fired for sexually harassing a crew member.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Rekana’s ruling provides legal support for a $30.9 million award in favor of MRC and other companies that produced Netflix series, created by the private arbitrator who heard the case against Spacey. give effect.

Rekana said Spacey and his lawyers “failed to prove that this was even a close match” and “demonstrated that the award of damages was so unreasonable that it amounted to an arbitrary recreation of the parties’ contract.” I have not,” he wrote.

“We are satisfied with the court’s ruling,” MRC attorney Michael Kamp said in an email to The Associated Press.

Spacey denied the allegations through his attorney and his spokesperson, who did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.

The arbitrator ruled that Spacey “defied his contractual demands for professional conduct by performing certain acts in relation to multiple crew members in each of the five seasons in which he appeared and executive produced. has violated.” House of Cards on the Sand,” according to a submission from Kump requesting approval.

As a result, MRC fired Spacey, stopped production on the show’s sixth season, had to rewrite it to remove Spacey’s central character, cut it from 13 episodes to eight to meet a deadline, The result was tens of millions of dollars in losses. .

WATCH | Kevin Spacey appears in British court on sexual assault charges.

Kevin Spacey appears in British court on sexual assault charges

Actor Kevin Spacey made a brief appearance in a London court on Thursday after being charged with four counts of sexually assaulting three men between 2005 and 2013.

Spacey’s lawyers argue the decision to drop Spacey from the show’s sixth season was made prior to an internal investigation that brought the crew to the front and was not part of a breach of contract. They argued that the actors’ actions were not a substantial factor in the show’s loss.

The ruling from the private arbitrator came after more than three years of legal battles and eight days of hearings of evidence, along with the rest of the dispute, until a panel of three additional private arbitrators dismissed Spacey’s appeal. It was kept secret from the public. Upheld the November decision.

Actor faces multiple lawsuits

The 63-year-old Oscar winner’s career came to an abrupt halt in late 2017 as the #MeToo movement gained momentum and allegations surfaced against him from several places.

Spacey was fired or removed from the project. House of Cards on the Sanda Netflix political thriller that spent five seasons playing protagonist Frank Underwood, a power-hungry congressman who would become president.

Last month, Spacey pleaded not guilty in London to charges of sexually assaulting three men while he was director of the Old Vic Theater more than a decade ago. His attorney said he “fiercely denies” the allegations. He is due to be put on trial next year.

Another criminal case filed against him for lewd assault and battery charges stemming from allegedly groping an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket resort was dismissed by Massachusetts prosecutors in 2019. rice field.

Spacey is also facing lawsuits from other men, including actor Anthony Rapp.

Kevin Spacey was ordered to pay House of Cards creators over $30 million

Source link Kevin Spacey was ordered to pay House of Cards creators over $30 million

Related Articles

Back to top button