In the latest development in the Hockey Canada saga, Michael Brindamore stepped down as chairman of the board Friday night, effective immediately.
“My final term ends in November 2022. I know we do not have to wait for a new era. Immediate action is essential.” Release.
The Hockey Canada Board and members will meet in the coming days to determine next steps and to appoint an interim chairman.
The next election of officers is scheduled for the Annual General Meeting in November.
In June, the federal government froze the organization’s access to public funds over its response to allegations of sexual assault and its subsequent out-of-court settlement.
In April 2018, a woman filed a $3.5 million lawsuit after eight hockey players, including members of Canada’s World Junior Team, sexually assaulted her in 2018. I made peace with a woman.
Complainant says it has always cooperated fully with police investigations into her case, even though Hockey Canada said it did not initially cooperate.
Come Live | Sports Ministers Discussing Recent Meetings with State Sports Ministers:
Retail giant Canadian Tire and telecommunications company Tellus recently suspended their sponsorship of Hockey Canada.
And last month, Hockey Canada officials testified before a House committee that they had paid $8.9 million in sexual abuse settlements to 21 petitioners since 1989.
See | Hockey Canada has paid 21 sexual misconduct settlements since 1989.
In a statement, Brindamoor said, “We have listened carefully and intently to Canadians’ comments about the culture of our sport and organization, and about our conduct and leadership.” I understand that the actions taken are part of the solution.
“I am confident that His Excellency Thomas Cromwell has agreed to lead a governance review of the organisation, which will help us make the necessary changes. I have.”
On Friday, Canada’s 13 regional hockey federations threatened to withhold dues payments from Hockey Canada in light of the organizations’ alleged mishandling of sexual assault allegations in 2018. announced.
The Hockey Quebec-led organization sent a letter on Thursday requesting a detailed action plan and a “special” meeting to address their concerns by the end of November.
Statements of the allegations, which have not been proven in court, include the hockey player bringing golf clubs to his hotel room, further intimidating the woman, telling the woman to take a shower after the sexual assault, and videotaping it. She said she was sober while she was there. Consent video.
Watch: Hockey Canada bans players who do not cooperate with investigations.
As first reported by The Globe and Mail earlier this week, the petitioner’s attorney, Robert Tarach, made a statement to police in June 2018 that his client wanted criminal charges filed. announced.
Talach provided a series of new details about the case, including that his client spoke with detectives and underwent a physical examination at a hospital within days of the alleged sexual assault.
Talach said his client later handed her clothes over to police for inspection and met with officers twice more that summer. Seven months later, she was told that her investigation was closed and she would not be charged.
Following an outburst of public outrage, London’s police chief recently announced that an internal review would be conducted to “determine, if any, additional avenues of investigation.”
Talach said his law firm set up a polygraph test for the woman and she passed. The results were then provided to police and Hockey’s Canadian investigators, as well as his NHL, which launched its own investigation in May.
Talach has confirmed that the client will not be interviewed by Hockey Canada or NHL investigators because he has already provided an 8 page statement, 5 pages of photos and 4.5 pages of text messages.
Hockey Canada’s Chairman of the Board Resigns
Source link Hockey Canada’s Chairman of the Board Resigns