Casino Statistics in Canada 2021

The gambling industry is not a novelty in Canada. Over the years, it is a growing business that requires licensing and regulation from specific gambling authorities in the world. Many Canadians who are of legal gambling age have taken part in at least brick-and-mortar casinos or pay by phone casinos. As a result, the country has gained immense profits from gambling activities over the years from both local and international players. In this article, we will look into the gambling statistics of Canada and what tendencies these data reveal. So, let us get started!

Importance of Canadian gambling statistics

By studying these gambling statistics, we can look into data gathered by experts about online casinos in a bid to understand it better. In general, the Canadian gambling landscape has experienced consistent growth since 2016, reaching its maximum peak in 2019 by having a net value worth $14.72 billion. However, as an impact of the Corona Virus pandemic, the industry has declined slightly having a net worth of $14.08 billion.

In 2021, the industry is steadily gaining back its prestige as it has reached a net worth of $15 billion. Furthermore, advancement in technology continues to make online gambling a popular pastime in Canada, with more than 20 million Canadians being active players.

Most Popular Game Preference

The most popular game preference for Canadian players is betting on lottery tickets, with more than half of the Canadian population (65%) having played a lottery in the past year. Slot machines are next on the list with 49% and then followed by instant scratches are with 36%. Physical and online casinos closely follow this list, although brick-and-mortar casinos are becoming less and less popular as time goes by.

At the bottom of the list is sports ticket betting as they only constitute 3.6%. Horseracing and card rooms have a similarly small percentage of 3.6% and 3.5% respectively. As a result, Canada’s mainstream casinos have experienced a decrease in revenue, causing almost all Canadian provinces to launch their own online gambling sites to reduce the revenue gap.


Depending on the province, Canada’s legal gambling age is 18 or 19 years. The youngest gamblers make up the smallest population since Canadian youth between the ages of 18-24 are more interested in PS and Xbox gaming compared to casinos.

Gambling statistics in Canada 2019-2020 show that 59% of casino players aged between 18 – 34 played lotteries, scratch tickets, or instant wins last year. The largest player demographics lie between 20-29 years.

It is also worth noting that 57% of online gamblers are males while the other 43% are females. Additionally, female players are more likely to use mobile devices when playing casino games (55%). In general, the majority of the Canadian gambling landscape consists of players within the range of 35 -50 years of age. Slot machine players are often between 55-64 years of age, while bingo players are normally older than 50 years.

Future of the industry

Although land-based casinos were temporarily shut down in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic, they are slowly making their return to the scene. However, many Canadian players have grown fond of the convenience and ease of use of online gambling. With fast, cheap, and almost free universal internet access as well as a portable device of your choice, you can play your favorite casino game from anywhere.

For those who enjoy the brick-and-mortar casino experience, will be glad to know that there is a wide variety of live dealer games. Here, they can interact with a real dealer and make bets in real-time. In the future, it is not a far stretch to say that online casino games will incorporate the use of more VR technologies.


Related Articles

Back to top button