Bulldog defeats Cataract in OT Semifinal Thriller to advance to Memorial Cup final

Hamilton Bulldogs beat Shawinigan Cataract 4-3 in the Memorial Cup final on Wednesday at TD Station in St. John, New Brunswick, with Janmi Shark recording 10:08 in overtime.

A dramatic semi-final victory drives the bulldog into a championship game with host St. John Seadog.

Artem Grushnikov, Mason McTavish and Logan Morrison scored in the Bulldog regulation, which defeated Windsor Spitfire in the seven-game Championship Series, winning the Ontario Hockey League crown 16-3 in the playoffs.

Mavrik Bourque, Olivier Nadeau and William Veillette scored in Shawinigan Cataractes regulation time. ShawiniganCataractes set the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League record in seven extra times for the President’s Cup title for the first time in the franchise’s 53-year history.

Marco Costantini made 33 saves in Hamilton’s goal on Monday, and Antoine Coulombe stopped 39 of the 43 shots he faced.

In the qualifying round, Catalact used three power play goals with seven chances to defeat the bulldog 3-2.

Hamilton has made significant changes to this rematch approach, allowing only one power play opportunity while overtaking Shawinigan 38-30 in regulation time.

In the first period of equal play, Hamilton led 9-8 in the division, so each team hit the post early and the shot was tight.

Burke started scoring when he redirected Nado Feed past Costantini at 14:39. Nado gained control of the loose pack in the left corner and hit Burke. Burke’s shot found the net under Costantini’s glove.

Grusnikov joined the rush in less than two minutes in a 4-4 situation, with McTabish finishing a slick pass from the right at 16:29.

Play began in the second period, resulting in more scoring opportunities.

McTabish advanced Hamilton 1:23 when his snapshot defeated Coulombe, just seconds after one of the power play opportunities expired.

Nado returned the cataract once again when he pointed Isaac Menard’s point shot in front of Costantini. The chip went high and led to a review, but it was confirmed immediately.

From there, the goalkeeper took over, Coulombe made 17 saves in the second period, and Costantini was as sharp as blocking 14 cataract offerings.

That was the stage for the tense and thrilling third season.

The bulldog appeared to have taken the 3-2 lead at 12:27 with regulation as Avery Hayes struck a pass from behind the net over Coulombe and over the goal line. But it wasn’t counted because the official blew the play before it crossed the line, a call that stood after a long video review.

Just after 2:28, Bermet reached out and struck Angus Booth’s wrist high in the upper corner past Constantini at 10:01. This time, when Morrison flowed into the slot and received only one feed from Ryan Winterton at 13:56, it was the bulldog who answered quickly.

2012 Memorial Cup Champion Shawinigan finished second in the qualifying round, beating Edmonton and Hamilton, and contested host St. John Seadog in the final round-robin game with a 5-3 contest.

Hamilton struggled early in the event, falling to St. John and Shawinigan, and then defeating Edmonton 4-2 in the final qualifying round to conclude the semi-final berth.

Bulldog defeats Cataract in OT Semifinal Thriller to advance to Memorial Cup final

Source link Bulldog defeats Cataract in OT Semifinal Thriller to advance to Memorial Cup final

Related Articles

Back to top button